Friday, December 3, 2010

7 things you shouldn't do before writing CAT - My CAT Story: Part 1/3: Registration Done

Glossary:
CAT: Common Admission Test, is amongst the most prominent way for every graduate student in India to fulfill their dreams to get into the top B-Schools in India. To register for it, a voucher is to be bought from the Axis Bank & the alphanumeric code of the voucher is to be put in the CAT website.
Delhi Metro: Public Transport system in Delhi.

Disclaimer: This is the actual story of my journey towards CAT. All characters appearing in this story are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.


7 things you shouldn't do before writing CAT

PART 1: Registration Done
Year 2011, I will graduate from my college.
Year 2010, I attempted my first online CAT.
Well, I have to start somewhere, and what better than the day when i went to the Axis Bank to get my Voucher Coupon for the Registration. The distribution of the same started from 30th August 9a.m. I got a phone call from my friend Roy on 3 O' clock that its been started from morning & i had to rush because it was very important to get the voucher on first day otherwise i won't get any nearby Test-center.

Ok before starting it let me tell you who actually Roy & Sushant is, apart from my friends. Roy is a kinda guy which is characterized as a chocolate boy, always with girls, if not with them then definitely on phone, never back down attitude & often score a decent marks in the exams. On the other hand Sush is a frustrated guy, always in tense mood, no girls nothing, abdicates when in crunch situation & born with decayed grades.
      Me(On telephone): hey man wassup, where have you been these days damn it, you din't show up anywhere?
      Roy: yea right i was dancing with the paparazzi these days capturing Lindsay Lohan you wanna do the same? Obviously I am busy with my CAT Preparation.
      Me: Ok buddy chill chill, what’s the matter why you called me? Did your girlfriend ditch you once again. I wonder why you always run after...
He interrupted me & continued with an abominated breath.
      Roy: Look listen don't ever again tell me what to do, its been thousand times you spoke these lines & its been million times i told you not to say anything about my girlfriend. I called you to tell that the CAT Registration is starting today , so you have to rush.
He explained me why it is necessary to get the registration done on the first day.
      Me: God Forbidden can't you call me in the morning before you got your voucher, look man if i don't get my voucher today i am gonna kill you & its definite. Its 3 O'clock already & i haven't even bathed you Rascal.

I bid him an agonized goodbye, bathed & to hurry things up i forgot to put my shoes & went to the Bank in slippers. The time was 10minutes to 4. When i reached there a regular Security Guard was standing in front of the entrance watching me like i am an alien, wearing unmatched clothes with red slippers & freaking out. The Watchman looked like a demon from cheap mythological TV Shows - six feet tall, over a hundred kilos, big mustache & Huge teethes.  Although he inspired terror, he spoke little & was busy shutting down the main door of the bank.

"Sir, can you tell me where should i get the CAT Voucher for its registration"? I inquired.
"You can't get that today. Its 4 O' clock now & the bank is closed." He answered. Axis bank has its Public Dealing timing from 9:30am to 3:30pm.
"Its not possible sir, actually seriously not. I have to register online otherwise i probably not get the nearest center." I explained.
"Whatever may be the case, there is only one way left with that you can register your candidature....." He answered. 

I was actually thinking he might permit me to go in & for that i have to bribe him. I checked my wallet & found my old forgotten Rs.340 which i saved long before to pay debt to Roy & thought it's already a very less amount & i had to give it to him now finally ultimately. Shittt man i had to....My heart cried.

He continued, "there is only one way left with that you can register your candidature, is that you have to come tomorrow morning at 8:30 & you have to hurry because there will be a long queue in front of the bank for that."

The conversation continued till some minutes until i got hopeless & agitated. I too offered him some money, some Rs.40 for that matter & he simply ignored. Simply IGNORED like he was thinking you were giving 40 bucks to buy some chips for me, 40 damn bucks to bribe me..!!! :D

I ranged Sushant, one of my friends who too was giving CAT & i was sure he too dint go on a first day. I explained him the urge & significance to get the registration as early as possible & we planned to land in Axis Bank sharp 8 O'clock tomorrow to get in queue first.

Now its 31st August. As we planned, we reached the bank sharp 8:15a.m.
“Sir, Can you please tell me the procedure to get the CAT Voucher”, Sushant to the watchman standing outside the Bank.
“Its quarter pass eight son. You have to wait for two hours at least to get that. The Bank is not opened yet”, watchman replied.
“But you told me to come at 8:30 yesterday”, I protested & Watchman ignored us like I was lying.
“Look G i am gonna put this in really straight lines. You are an Asshole. You called me to be here at 8 in the morning because there must be a queue of applicants but where the damn is your queue”, Sushant to me.
“Sush, he told me to be here at 8:30 I swear man I swear on anything & I don’t know why other applicants dint come by now”, I explained.

So for the next 15minutes Sush explained me why I was an asshole & we spent the rest of the time sitting on the stairs of the Bank, seeing the other aspirants who came there at 9, & waiting for the Bank to open. The clock clicked 10 & finally we had our Voucher. We both went to my home & opened the catiim.in site for the registration. I was the first who filled the online form & because we were late in getting the voucher there were no slots left of November weekends of the nearest center & we dint wish to write our CAT on weekdays due to conflicting dates with the college exams.
So now we had only two options left either opt any weekday & pray to god or to choose any other center which was far from our abode. We checked the catiim site & found a center named "Delhi Business School, Badarpur Border". We chose it thinking that we could have the option of going there by metro, so it won't be hectic to find this center. SO FROM NOW ON MY CHAOS BEGAN. I filled our forms & the Registration was done.

8 comments:

Satwinder Singh said...

Nice post, good start. However I feel you made it a bit too long, it felt kinda boring in the middle. Anyways waiting to read the other 2 parts. :-)

Gagandeep Singh said...

thanks veere....I too think its a bit long...anyways will surely try to write the other 2 parts next week bhai...
Thanks for reading & sparing your time... :-)

sagar pandhoh said...

nice post buddy....these agonies are worth sharing...

what i like was the details u included in the post...n also try to open in a more subtle and dramatic way....but hey!!!...great attempt...

Gagandeep Singh said...

thanxx bhai...;)
I am glad u lyk it...;P ;)

Thє SτσIc said...

you could have avoided a bit of the slang ! a few grammatical errors crept in too .. nonetheless it was nice to know your experience and how the arduous journey of CAT began for you .. keep writing

Gagandeep Singh said...

thanx bhai...

Bhanu Mohan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bhanu Mohan said...

gud pinky.....:)